LA VIC have provided a COVID 19 update on the season and the current state of play for Little Athletics. You can read the full memo here
Key Points – Below is summary of the key points provided in the memo.
In metropolitan Melbourne, the earliest community sport – and Little Athletics – can be expected to resume is 26th October, and this will be determined by community COVID-19 infection levels.
Training and coaching
Many sports are asking the following questions of the State Government:
- Are coaches considered in the same light as personal trainers, and hence can commence sanctioned coaching activities at Step 2 (28th September for metro Melbourne)?
- Can sanctioned training activities start sooner than 26th October?
The position of Sport & Recreation Victoria (SRV) on these questions is unequivocal:
Coaches are not considered personal trainers and can not undertake coaching activities prior to 26th October. The earliest sports coaching can occur is 26th October.
There is to be no community sport activity – inclusive of sanctioned training or competition – prior to 26th October. These settings apply to Little Athletics.
Region Relay Carnivals and State Relay Championships
Given the delayed commencement of the season (for almost all Centres), and likelihood that modest maximum gathering restrictions will prohibit the running of Region and State events for the remainder of 2020,
LAVic has taken the decision to move the Region Relay Carnivals and State Relay Championship to be held in the New Year (subject to restrictions), with dates to be confirmed shortly.
Other Points to Note
- LAVic will be ultimately guided by advice from the State Government as to when specifically Centres can commence.
- NSW Centres: Effective from 1st September, community sport can be conducted in NSW. LAVic has six Centres located on the NSW side of the Murray River and these Centres are currently considering their options for commencing season 20/21.
- There have been no specific announcements by the State Government on maximum crowd gathering sizes to date. SRV have given an undertaken to provide some clarity on this issue and other matters pertaining to community sport next week.
The Knox LAC and the Executive Committee is continuing to work with LAVic to ensure our centre is ready once the season can start.
If you would like further information on LAVic and COVID 19 you can head to the LAVic website here.